Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Plan Your Canvasses Carefully

I love canvassing; I really do.  But sometimes it just takes a little too much out of you.  That seemed to be the case this past weekend when we went to canvass for Larry Kissell. 

It shouldn't have been bad.  I emailed the guy a week in advance, touched base, sent him another email Wednesday letting him know how many people we had and asking if he had a specific area he wanted us to cover.  His district is a good ways away, we definitely didn't want to spend the entire trip in the car simply trying to get down there.  I stated this in my emails, asking if there were any turfs closer to our district (literally anywhere up US-49 would have saved us half an hour each way).  Then: nothing.  Not a word until Sunday. freaking. morning.  Then I get an email simply asking to meet at the field office.  In Concord.

I don't want to be mad at the entire campaign; nor am I rooting against Representative Kissell.  But his campaign was definitely not one I would have been willing to work with if I had known ahead of time exactly what a hassle it would be.  We were only able to canvass for about an hour, yet spent almost four in the car.  It was ridiculous.

Rough start to the week; but it's all downhill from here.  The rest of the canvasses are really close, with local candidates that should be able to put in a lot of time working with us.  Can't wait for that.

So, until then.  Phonebank, phonebank, phonebank.  Registration, registration, registration.  Then Deb McManus next Sunday.   Fired up!...

No comments:

Post a Comment